Pages

Friday 4 June 2021

English - Figurative language (Idioms)

This week in English, we have been learning about figurative language. One of our first activitys in  figurative language we had to mix and match some poetry terms and definitions about figurative which is on one of my latest blog posts. Then we started on doing activitys about Idioms, the first activity was, we had to write down the meaning of idioms that was listed in the grid below. After that we had to choose 3 idioms and then to draw a funny picture about what would happen if these idioms got taken literally. Here is the grid below. 

Figurative Column

Literal Column

a.Just chill out dude! 

Meaning: It means to calm down

 

b. ‘He is driving me up the wall!’

Meaning: It means someone is irritating and making someone angry.

c. ‘His nose is out of joint’

Meaning: It means someone is annoyed

 

d. The teacher is a real scream

Meaning: It means that the teacher is very funny and humorous.

e. What is she cooking up in her mind right now?

Meaning: It means what is she thinking right now.

 

f. He gave her the eye. 

Meaning: It means that a man is trying to flirt with another woman.

After that we had to write some other idioms ourselves that are not listed in the grid. We must do 3, should do 4-6, could do 6-8. Here are the idioms that I have chosen.

Idiom: Its a peice of cake - Meaning: Its easy

Idiom: Its raining cats and dogs - Meaning: Its raining hard

Idiom: Let the cat out of the bag - Meaning: Give away a secret

Idiom: Break a leg - Meaning: Good luck

Idiom: Call it a day - Meaning: Stop working on something

Idiom: Get out of hand - Meaning: Get out of control


What have I learnt?

 I have learnt a lot about idioms and what they are. Before we did this work I wasn't that sure what Idioms were. 

How does this work show my learning?

- It shows that I have understood what I am learning. It also shows that I know what idioms are because If I didn't know what Idioms were I wouldn't have completed all of my work.

What am I wondering?

 - I am wondering if there are any idioms that I haven't thought of and what are other idioms that I may know but I haven't thought of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.