Pages

Friday 4 June 2021

English - Similes and Metaphors

This week in English, we have been learning about figurative language. The second activity in figurative language we had to highlight words that are similes and metaphors. After that we had to write some similes and metaphors of our own, we must do 3, should do 4-6 and could do 6-8. Here is the work that we had to do. 

highlight the simile in each:

  1. My bedroom was as black as a cave in the depths of the earth.

  2. The classroom after school became as noisy as a gaggle of gabby geese.

  3. The cat capered along the fence top like a tightrope walker on the hire wire. 

  4. My anger crashed into me like waves against the shore. 


Use a word from the box to complete each simile

  1. The cloth was as black as coal

  2. The wet ball was as slippery as an eel

  3. My little sister is as playful as a kitten

  4. The top of this table is as smooth as silk

  5. I’ve been as busy as a bee

  6. The lamb is as white as snow


For each of these sentences is it a simile or a metaphor?

  1. As slippery as an eel. Simile

  2. Arnie was a man-mountain. Metaphor

  3. He was a lion in battle. Metaphor

  4. She is as pretty as a picture. Simile

  5. The striker was a goal machine. Metaphor

  6. The torch lit up the room as if the sun had already risen early. Simile

  7. The moon was a misty shadow. Metaphor

  8. My friend has a face like thunder. Simile



Have a go at writing some Similes and Metaphors of your own:

Must Do - 3 (of each)

Should Do- 4-6 (of each)

Could Do- 6-8 (of each)


1. The house is as clean as a whistle

2. He is as funny as a barrel of monkeys

3. That guy is as nutty as a fruitcake

4. The calm lake was a mirror

5. The classroom was a zoo

6. The stormy ocean was a raging bull


What I have learnt?
- I have learnt alot more about similes and metaphors that what I already did know. I have also learnt how to find if there are similes and metaphors in sentences.


How does this work show my learning?
- It shows that I have completed all of my work that has been assigned for me above and It shows my learning on this blog post. It shows that I know what similes and metaphors are because I have highlighted them below.
What am I wondering?
- I am not wondering anything right now, at this moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well.
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say.
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or Ask a question you want to know more about.